The laboratory of electro-modeling was organized in May, 1952 under the Petroleum expedition of Azerbaijan Academy of Sciences(AS) and served as the beginning of the creation of the Institute. In 1956, because of the reorganization of Petroleum expedition the Laboratory of electro-modeling has been included into the structure of the Institute of Physics and Mathematics of AS, and since 1958 it was transferred into the structure of the Institute of Mathematics and Mechanics and called Computer Center (CC).
At the end of 50s, the appearance of universal digital computers in Azerbaijan stimulated researches on numerical methods and programming. As a matter of this, in 1960 CC was extracted into an independent organization in the system of AS of the Republic. In the same year the computer laboratory was created in the structure of CC. This was the second one, after Ukraine, among the former Soviet republics, which played the main role in the development of Cybernetics, computer science and other engineering sciences. In 1965 CC was reorganized into the Institute of Cybernetics.
Department of the "Computer Aided Control Systems» created in 1971 in the structure of the Institute was extracted from the Institute in 2002 into an independent Institute of Information Technologies. Cybernetics Institute was appointed the leading organization for the establishment of "the Republic of Automated Management Systems" (1977-1981).
В 1978 г. при ИК было создано ныне действующее хозрасчетное Специальное Конструкторское Бюро «Кибернетика».
In 2014, by the decree of the Cabinet of Ministers, the Institute of Cybernetics of ANAS was renamed as the "Institute of Control Systems".
From the day the Institute was established and to 1965, the Institute was headed by Doctor of Engineering, Professor Aleskerov Said Amiraslan, in 1965-1970 by Academician Huseynov Ashraf Askender, in 1970-1988 by Academician Allakhverdiyev Jalal Eyvaz. Since 1988, the Institute has been headed by a Doctor of Engineering, Professor, holder of Shohret Order, Honored worker of science, Academician Aliev Telman Abbas.
Human resources of the Institute:
In Institute there are 4 academicians, 3 correspondent member, 25 doctors of science, 56 PhD.
The Institute consists of 6 departments and 26 laboratories.
About the Institute on other sites: